As an online marketer we should really consider ourselves blessed with the amount of effective and virtually no spend marketing channels we have to sell almost anything. Just consider the few listed in the figure below.
But it’s also important to understand that it’s so very easy to lose focus and half heartedly use a number of these channels for virtually no results.
Let’s check the major sources of traffic under each of Social Network, Social Bookmarking and Media Referrers.
Source : Readwrite.com
The three graphs do show the importance of using Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Stumble upon as the major channels for getting online traffic. The referral traffic from Stumble Upon has gone down in the past year or two and Pinterest has gained prominence. People might also argue that the traffic from Stumble Upon hardly converts. But even then the traffic that Stumble Upon can generate is significant enough. So create quality content and you can trust on the Stumblers to recommend you and bring you tons of traffic.
I love this website. It’s a pretty simple site but the content is exactly the type Social Media loves. I’m sure the site gets insane amounts of Social media traffic. So if your website has content that can get pretty viral : Images, funny things, cool gadgets, celebrity news, nature and wildlife related, food and beverages related or basically anything that’s a good read and time pass, then Stumble Upon is a must for you.
Now let’s look at what Stumble Upon is and some of the key things you could do to boost up your traffic from Stumbleupon.
Stumble Upon is a social bookmarking site. Stumblers can bookmark great pages and websites they find on the web and categorize them accordingly. One can also install the Stumble Upon browser plugin on the web browser that makes it easy to bookmark their finds or to vote up the pages that they find using Stumble Upon. But first, you would need to sign up. Ensure that you customize your interests to suit your tastes. The more you stumble and like content, the better the stumble upon engine would become in understanding your preferences and likes.
1) Connect with like-minded people : The real power of any social network comes through the relationships you build. Stumble Upon is quite similar. You can search for like-minded people and follow them. Finding followers interested in the same topics as you is simple. You can start by going to http://www.stumbleupon.com/discover/keyword/ and replace the keyword with topics you are interested in. It will then show you users who are interested in the same things.
They do get notified and the chances are that they will give you a follow back provided they consider your profile interesting.
Constantly monitor the Stumble Upon review page of the content you have submitted/ thumbed up/ reviewed. Find people who have wrote reviews for it or liked it. If they seem interesting follow them as they share similar interests. Also, as you recommend more and more, Stumble Upon will improve upon it’s suggestion of friend to follow. Be active, follow others, like and review their contents and slowly you will build your network.
2) Don’t submit only your Website pages : Of course you need to bookmark your pages on to Stumble Upon. However only bookmarking your pages won’t give you any major traffic boost. You need to mix it up by being an active user bookmarking, reviewing and voting up plenty of content in your areas of interests and build your profile. The more active you are, the better the chances that people will follow you and would vote up your contents, so that it goes viral. Remember, you are part of a community and people who add value to the community are the ones who are valued the most.
3) Use Clear Titles and descriptions: When you add pages on to Stumble Upon, ensure you give apt and interesting titles and descriptions so that people click through and read. It’s also important to not bookmark your front pages, rather bookmark specific articles which has a better chance of people liking and sharing.
4) Use Stumble Upon Paid discovery if required: Stumble Upon paid discovery is a great way to improve upon your traffic instantly If you don’t want to wait for the traffic to build. There are various plans Stumble upon provides you to choose from.
You could use a budget as small as $30 and generate about 300 quality visits to your site.
5) Always be using Su.pr to share contents on to other networks : Stumble upon has its own URL shortening system Su.pr . The advantage of using the Su.pr shortener generate shortened links to be shared across various channels is that when a visitor clicks on the link and visits the page they would have the stumble upon toolbar conveniently above the page making it easy for a logged in user to vote up the article giving your more Stumble love.
If the user loves your content, could also give you some more social media love by sharing the page on other social channels! J
However, the most important thing is to understand that building a following on any Social Channel is not an instant thing. It takes time and a lot of hardwork along with a bit of creativity. But it’s one of the best and the cheapest source of traffic you could generate once you build a following. So invest your time in building a base on channels you think would bring maximum traffic to your sites and have fun doing the same. Stumble upon is a great tool for discovering some amazing content. Discover, learn, build your base and with it gain awesome traffic stats to your website! J
Latest posts by Amarnath Vannarath (see all)
- Understanding Cohort Analysis - November 29, 2017
- Using Data & Analytic Tools to Better Understand Your Users – Measuring the Right Metrics - October 8, 2017
- Making your products Viral : Understanding Virality - June 17, 2017